Friday, July 23, 2010

Yogurt Experiment

Yesterday afternoon I made some yogurt with a new-to-me recipe from Ricki Carroll's Home Cheese Making. Pectin was involved. I followed the directions pretty closely, but had a moment of "Did I get this too hot?" Anyway, as I was pouring the cooled mix into jars for incubation, I noticed what I thought was whey separation, an indicator that I had indeed cooked the solids.

Denial is useful sometimes. I put the jars in the Excalibur on 115 degrees and told myself that everything would be fine. Seven hours later, Zack removed the jars from the dehydrator and asked what was going on. Uh oh...

I'd made ricotta, sort of. We put the contents of the jars into jelly bags and hung them to drain overnight. This morning I hurried to the kitchen and discovered that Whatever It Was tasted pretty good! I will serve it on toast with honey drizzled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment