Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Spring Is Here!

And that means it's time to mow the grass. LOTS of grass.  I both love and hate mowing.  It takes about 8 hours to do ALL the mowing here, and that's when things aren't overgrown.  Mowing is good exercise. Another benefit to mowing with a push mower is that you get to really observe the condition of the sod.  What grasses and weeds are growing?  Where does that boggy spot begin and end? 

Last year, when we were grazing two heifers, the grass was allowed to get LONG and lush.  Now that the cows are gone, we graze with an internal combustion engine on four tiny wheels.  Then there's the bush hog on the tractor, which we use to mow the pasture ahead of the chickens.  After two years of rotational grazing with chickens (and one year with cows) I must say that our grass is looking mighty fine. 

I must admit that although mowing every 10-14 days is no picnic in the summer heat, I do love how my place looks when it is freshly mowed.  There's a PEACEFUL feeling I get from gazing on a neat carpet o'green. 

And my neighbor actually said that the house "looks nice."  Wonders never cease!





No comments:

Post a Comment